Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh the Irony

So, as it happened, the day after I start my blog something really exciting happens. I get hit by a van. Yes. hardee-har-har.

I was cross training on Tuesday, and as it was the first nice day that I had time to enjoy, I decided to take my $25 bike out for a ride. It should have been four quick right turns and back to the old abode to start my running for the day. But, as it happens, four right turns in New Jersey only make you dizzy and don't actually lead you back home. After 10 miles of riding, I was a bit tired, but was finally on my way to wear I knew home was. A mere 2 miles to go. And then, innocently, I pass through a T-intersection in which I had the right-of-way, and a mini-van decides to roll-stop through her stop sign. Being weary-legged, and unwilling to swerve into oncoming traffic, she hit me.

She was frantic, apologetic, and had 4 kids in the back of the minivan. A woman just behind her stopped as well, and was very excited to use her freshly gleaned first aid knowledge to cover up the bloody gashes in my body. But I was fine, and considered toughing out the last two miles home, but light was dimming and I was without a bike light. All the kids were moved into two seats, and she drove me home.

On the way home we started talking, and I explained that I was training for the Boston Marathon and I was running for the MS Society. She was very excited and immediately offered to donate to the cause.

This just proves that I'm willing to do anything to help this cause, and make the goal that was set before me. I just ask that if you want to run me down with a car, please be willing to make a large contribution.
Cheers.

No comments: