Monday, March 26, 2007

If it doesn't hurt, then you're not doing it right

I had to ask myself this week, "When am I allowed to quit?" If we count up the physical damage that's been done to my body in the past six weeks, we can include:
1) inflamed hip
2) hit by a van
3) general soreness of going from 0-60 miles a week; and finally
4) stress fracture in the foot.

Clearly this is not enough to stop me from running the Boston Marathon, or raising funds to help support the MS Society, but it does give me something to pause over. Maybe my body isn't meant to run 20+ miles? Perhaps I didn't give myself enough time to train? Am I overtraining? Or, how much bad luck can one person have? These questions get mulled over as I continue to put one foot in front of the other for another hour, and yet I still don't stop. Its certainly not for myself that my body is being tortured like a Guantanamo Bay prisoner. I don't have the personal strength to do this to myself. And, in general, I'm a big baby when it comes to pain.

So, why haven't I quit yet? I guess I can thank all my friends and loved ones for the rapid deterioration of my joints. Even when my tendons pop and muscles tear, they'll still support me, and I want to give them the favor back by actually doing something to help. The conclusion comes, even if it kills me, I will run for a cure.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?px=3136888&pg=personal&fr_id=4211

No comments: