Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hola Espana

!Hola Readers!
So this might come as a surprise to many of you, but I have never been to Spain before. I know. Sun-soaked beaches, towering mountains, and plenty of partying across the pays: why haven't I visited? Well, its mostly been an overlooked part of Europe for me. I supposed that since I spent so much time with Latinos and in Latin American countries that the feel would be the same. Oh, how little did I know.

First, I wasnt so excited to come to Spain. I spent some vacation time in France, a country that is very close to my heart, after two years in Ethiopia. So, I felt that Spain wasn't exotic enough for my taste. Upon arrival, I just went through the motions of muttering through the local language to find my way to my destination. Very easily, my friend picked me up at the train station in Zaragoza and we headed towards her small town of Huesca. I was entirely underwhelmed and a little disappointed to part from Boston on top. But spending the next hour in a car ride, I started to notice the cultural differences as well as the unexpected landscape. Perhaps it was because I have down absolutely no research on Spain that I found all of these things intriguing. The unfortunate coincidence to my arrival was the death of a my Spanish guide's family friend. So, after a quick clean up, we headed to the reception of the deceased's relatives. But that was sandwiched by drinks at local pubs, which I could handle easily. The Spanish, so far, haven't seemed so out of context of my expectations, but to actually experience the wine-throwing, body-throbbing festival is an entirely different concept.

I've been bar hopping since 10 am, and I'm only half-way through. I have a hiatus since my friend has gone to the funeral, but we expect to be pulling at least a 12-hour day. And then there's the concerts, bullfights, etc planned for the rest of the week. I only hope that I have the stamina to keep up with the Spanish constitution. However, a healthy Spanish breakfast of fried eggs, ham, and chorizo is paving the way. I'll relate more after my buzz wears off.

Hasta luego,
Virginia/Van/Va

No comments: